Moving to a new place can be daunting – especially in a city the size of London. That's why we guarantee a place in College accommodation to all first year undergraduates, and students on an official exchange, who meet our terms and conditions.
Choosing College accommodation
Over 90 per cent of Imperial undergraduates choose to live in our halls of residence in their first year. There are many benefits to choosing College accommodation, including:
- All of our halls are signed up to recognised accommodation codes of practice, guaranteeing your right to safe, good quality accommodation
- Our accommodation fees include all bills (rent, gas and electricity charges, internet in your room, and insurance of your personal possessions) and are paid on a termly basis so it’s easy to keep track of what needs to be paid when
- All contracts are for a continuous period of 38–40 weeks (including the Christmas and Easter vacation periods), with the option to extend over the summer at some halls
- Each hall has a residential support team which is responsible for your wellbeing and for overseeing the day-to-day running of the hall. The team includes a number of returning students who can provide informal advice on settling into College life
- All halls have CCTV and swipe card or fob entry systems. The College also has 24-hour manned security offices around our campus accommodation and mobile patrols for outlying halls
About our halls
Fun, friendly and with a healthy dose of independence, living in halls is a great way to fully immerse yourself in the Imperial experience from your very first day.
Each hall has its own unique community of students from different courses and countries, and their welcoming environment allows you to develop a sense of home.
Most of our halls have their own social facilities, such as common rooms and TV/games rooms, as well as practical facilities like laundry rooms and secure bike storage. There is also a year-round programme of social and cultural events and sporting activities organised by the residential support team.
Lots of options
From premium en-suites to wallet-friendly twin rooms, we have options to suit a range of budgets and in a variety of locations within easy reach of our South Kensington Campus.
All of our rooms come with a bed, study desk, chair, wardrobe, shelving, desk lamp, curtains, chest of drawers, notice board, and book shelf/case, so you don't have to worry about buying big items of furniture. Just remember to bring your own bedding and kitchen essentials to help get you settled in your new home. See the 'Arrival and Moving In' FAQs to find out more.
You can find out more about all of our halls of residence, including facilities, prices and distance to campus, on our Accommodation website.
How to apply
You can specify your top five preferences during the application process and we’ll try our best to match them. For more information about how to apply, including deadlines to be eligible for our accommodation guarantee, please visit our Accommodation website.
If you decide that you'd rather stay in private accommodation from your first year our Student Hub can provide you with lots of support to help you navigate London's huge choice of properties, from an online property search website exclusively for Imperial students (Imperial Home Solutions) to a guide to nine of our most popular student areas.
Read this blog post from Emily, one of our student bloggers, for advice on finding private accommodation in London.
Find out more about privately rented housing, and the support available from the Student Hub, on our Accommodation website.