Forms and terms

Download the Student Application Form [MS Word ]Download the Landlord Information Form [MS Word ]

What is the Rent Guarantor Scheme? 

The College can act as a UK-based guarantor for Imperial College London undergraduate (not first year) students who may require this service when securing rental of private accommodation up to the value of £250 a week per person. 

A guarantor agrees to guarantee the payment of your rent to a landlord/agent in the event that you cannot. Many landlords require a UK-based guarantor so international students who do not have access to a UK-based guarantor may find that this is a suitable option. 

The rent guarantor scheme is not currently open for applications. The next round of applications will open in May 2019. 

How does the scheme work? 

  • The scheme will be run by the Student Hub team
  • Students interested will be required to complete an application form and provide requested evidence
  • The Student Hub team will assess each application against eligibility criteria and inform you of a decision within 3 - 5 working days of submission
  • Successful applicants will be contacted by the Student Hub team and required to pay £60 administration fee (including VAT)Successful applicants will be required to sign a Student Reimbursement Agreement with the College and get their landlord to sign the College’s Landlord Rent Guarantor Agreement 

Am I eligible? 

Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply: 

  • You are a full time registered undergraduate student (not first year) at Imperial and are full time registered throughout the term of your tenancy/licence agreement
  • You have been requested to provide a UK-based guarantor by a landlord
  • You cannot find an alternative UK-based guarantor. This Scheme should be used as a last resort and only if you have exhausted all other options to find a suitable UK-based guarantor
  • You have no outstanding academic or non-academic debts to the College
  • You can provide a satisfactory reference from a previous landlord or private hall of residence. References from College accommodation will be sought directly by the Student Hub
  • You can show you have the funding to pay your rent
  • You haven’t already signed a tenancy/licence agreement with a landlord 

You must also show that the property you wish to rent meets the following criteria: 

  • The tenancy/licence agreement must be checked by and meet the standards of the Student Hub
  • The landlord must be able to provide a current gas safety certificate for the property if applicable
  • Your proportion of the rent on the property doesn’t exceed £250 a week. For joint or shared tenancies, the College will act as guarantor for each named student’s share of the rent up to a maximum of £250 a week each 

How to apply

If you meet the criteria above, please complete the application form and landlord information form below and return to the Student Hub team to together with the supporting documentation listed below. 

Application forms 

Support documentation required 

  • A COPY of the relevant unsigned assured shorthold tenancy agreement or licence agreement
  • A reference from a previous landlord or private hall of residence. References from College accommodation will be sought directly by the Student Hub
  • Evidence of financial means to pay the rent for the property such as evidence of your maintenance funding arrangements for the academic year, proof of funding from an external sponsor, a family member’s bank statements for the last 3 months, your bank statements for the last 3 months showing sufficient funds or any other proof of funding as appropriate or as may be reasonably requested by the Student Hub 

More information 

If you have any further questions about the Scheme please contact the Student Hub team