Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme
Applications open 7 January 2019
If you are a full time undergraduate student at Imperial College you are invited to apply to the College’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP). Occasional students such as exchange, Erasmus and intercalating students are unable to apply.
The bursary will provide a student with a contribution towards their living costs for 6- 12 weeks while undertaking a research experience within Imperial College during the summer of 2019.
UROP has furthered the research ambitions of students for over 35 years and continues to be the College's focal point for students (from within & outside College) who wish to develop an appreciation of research and the environment within which it takes place. Students and academic staff are encouraged to consider the possibilities that the UROP system offers.
|Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary||BP UROP Awards||Faculty of Engineering UROP Award||Imperial College UROP Award|
|Fee status||EU or Home||ALL||ALL||ALL|
|Where in their degree||Middle years of their degree (1st and final years are not eligible)||In any year||In any year||In any year|
|Value of award||£322.63 per week||£305.41 per week||£305.41 per week||£305.41 per week|
|Duration of research experience||6-10 weeks||8-12 weeks||6-12 weeks||Bursary is the same amount regardless of the length of the placement. Awards with two recipients will be split 50/50|
|Cross Faculty award||Not available||In extraordinary cases||In extraordinary cases||Available|
How to apply and deadlines
Please note that the UROP applications for 2019 will open on 7 January 2019.
You only need to complete one application to be considered for all of these bursary schemes.
Students must have provisionally agreed a research experience with a member of academic staff before they apply.
Priority will be given to those students who have not received an award before. Each student will have a supervisor to support them through their research and all awardees will need to complete a Student Perspective upon completion of their programme.
• Please express your interest in applying by completing this online form. You will be sent an Application Form to complete within the next 24 hours, or the next working day. You must complete the application form to proceed with your application.
• Once you have submitted your application you will be sent a receipt and your nominated Supervisor will be sent an email asking them for their Supporting Statement. Your nominated Supervisor must complete this by the deadline below, otherwise your application will be rejected. Once your nominated Supervisor has submitted their Supporting Statement you will be notified.
• Where two students are applying for a joint basis for one Imperial College UROP Award, you only need to express your interest once, under one of your names. You can then complete a single application form for both of you.
Applicants can preview the questions beforehand: UROP Application Preview Questions 2019.
The Expression of Interest form will close at midday on Wednesday 13 February 2019.
The Application deadline for students is midday on Friday 15 February 2019.
Supervisors must submit their supporting statement by midday on Thursday 28 February 2019.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary
- A student who is allocated this award will be required to submit a report directly to the EPSRC at the end of their research experience.
- BP UROP Awards
- BP would normally not wish to fund a final year student
- BP will select students based on connectivity of their research experience to BP’s activities, with the aim of allocating at least one award per department listed above.
- Only the following host departments are available for the BP award: Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics and the (Faculty of Engineering) Departments of Chemical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Earth Science and Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
- A student will be required to submit feedback to BP at the end of their research experience.
- Imperial College UROP Award
- Those expecting to graduate in June 2018 are also eligible if their proposed research experience concludes by 3 October 2018.
- Applications for a bursary can be made by either:
- one undergraduate;
- or two undergraduates splitting a single research experience. In such a case an application must be clear as to the contribution of each. In such circumstances the bursary will be split equally between the students. The contribution of each student would normally be equal in terms of the time committed to the research experience.
- The bursary is the same value regardless of the length of the research experience. In the case of a research experience undertaken by two students the bursary will be split equally.
- In the event of a successful application for one of the advertised awards, the host department if it so wishes may allocate additional bursary payments up to a combined total of £350 per week. The host department will be responsible for processing any additional bursary payments which are approved.
The start date should be no earlier than the end of the academic year.
All applicants will be notified by Friday 12 April 2019 whether they have been sucessful.
The bursary is paid in a single instalment on Friday 5 July 2019.
Further information about other UROP opportunities is available via the UROP web pages.
Terms and conditions
Important terms and conditions apply to our UROP awards. Read these in full.