Dr Fabrizia Foglia
Email: f.foglia (AT) imperial.ac.uk
2014 - Present: Postdoctoral research associate, Chemical Engineering dep., Imperial College London, UK.
2012 - 2014: Postdoctoral research associate, Chemistry dep., UCL, UK.
2012: Postdoctoral researcher ‘Tonga Trench Expedition’ SCRIPPS Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, US.
2007 - 2012: PhD, Pharmaceutical Science, King’s College, London, UK.
2006 - 2007: Research assistant, Biophysics, Federico II, Naples, Italy.
2006: BSc/MSc, Chemistry, Federico II, Naples, Italy.
My academic training and research experience have provided me with a background in a wide range of biophysical techniques; mainly neutron scattering. This gave me the opportunity to work at major European centers, including spallation and reactor sources, applying these techniques to address problems in biology and soft matter. To date my research has focused on membranes characterisation.
- Hazael R, Foglia F, Kardzhaliyska L, Daniel I, Meersman F, McMillan PF; “Laboratory studies of High Pressure survival of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1: temperature effect” (2014) Frontiers in Microbiology; Extreme Microbiology (in press; doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00612).
- Foglia F, Fragneto G, Clifton LA, Lawrence MJ, Barlow DJ; “Interaction of amphotericin B with lipid monolayers” (2014) Langmuir 30, 9147.
- Foglia F, Lawrence MJ, Demè B, Fragneto G, Barlow DJ; “Neutron diffraction studies of the interaction between amphotericin B and lipid-sterol model membranes” (2012) Scientific Reports 2, Art. No. 778.
- Dabkowska A, Foglia F, Lawrence MJ, Lorentz CD, McLain SE; “On the structure of the phosphocholine head group in DMSO/water solution” (2011) J Chem. Phys. 135 Art. No. 225105.
- Foglia F, Barlow DJ, Szoka FC, Huang Z, Rogers SE, Lawrence MJ; “Structural studies of the monolayers and bilayers formed by a novel cholesterol-phospholipid chimaera” (2011) Langmuir 27, 8275.
- Foglia F, Drake AF, Terry AE, Rogers SE, Barlow DJ, Lawrence MJ; “Small angle neutron scattering studies of the effects of amphotericin B on phospholipid and phospholipid-sterol membrane structure” (2011) BBA - Biomembranes 1808, 1575.
- Foglia F, Lawrence MJ, Lorentz CD, McLain SE; “On the hydration of the phosphocholine headgroup in aqueous solution” (2010) J Chem. Phys. 133 Art. No. 145103.
- Foglia F, Carullo P, Del Vecchio P; “The effect of trimethylamine N-oxide on RNase A stability” (2007) J Therm. Anal. Calorim. 91, 67.
- Foglia F, Mandrich L, Pezzullo M, Graziano G, Barone G, Rossi M, Manco G, Del Vecchio P; “Role of the N-terminal region for the conformational stability of esterase 2 from Alicyclobacillus acidocaldarius” (2007) Biophys. Chem. 127 (1-2) 1137.
- “The Future of Dynamic Structural Science”; edited by JAK Howard, HA Sparkes, PR Raithby, AV Churakov (Springer, 2014, ISBN 978-94-017-8549-5), Chap. 5 (“Dynamic X-Ray and Neutron Scattering: From Materials Synthesis and In-Situ Studies to Biology at High Pressure”; PF McMillan, F Meersman, F Foglia, P Barnes, SDM Jacques, and R Briggs)