Change or reset a password
Change a password
To change your password you can press the CTRL, Alt and Delete keys simultaneously and select Change a password... using any Windows PC on an Imperial College London campus.
Alternatively, if you are not using a Windows PC or are off campus, you can change your password online:
- Go to Change your password.
- Enter your username and password (even if the password has expired). Your web browser may automatically complete the Password field for you.
- Click Change your password to set a new one. It is good practice to change your password regularly to keep your information safe and secure.
For guidance on setting strong and memorable passwords, go to Secure and strong passwords.
As a member of College you are required to change your password at least once a year. If you have elevated access privileges (access to College's systems), you are required to change your password every 90 days. You will be notified via email (send by the IT Security Officer, email@example.com) when your password is due to expire.
Reset a lost/forgotten pasword
Student applicant/new student (up to one month)
During the application process and for one month only after starting your course at Imperial, you can reset your password for the Student e-Service by selecting Forgot your password at Password change and entering your name, date of birth and College Identifier (CID) found on official correspondence from College (on your new College ID card if you are new student).
Member of staff/student
All new members of staff and students are required to activate their account when they first receive the details. As part of this process, you are prompted to set security questions. If you have not already set security questions, simply complete and save the Set Security Questions online form (Not accessible via Microsoft Edge). This should take less than one minute.
Once you have set your security questions, you can reset your password from any location with an Internet connection at any time by visiting Password change and follow these steps:
- Enter your username and select Forgot your username and password.
- Enter your College Identifier (CID), College ID card number (both found on your College ID card) and your date of birth.
- Answer one of the three security questions.
- Change your password.
If you are applying for a job at Imperial and have forgotten your password, reset it by entering your email address in the Job applicant system.
Problems changing or resetting passwords
If you have a problem changing or resetting your password, contact the ICT Service Desk by telephone only. For security reasons, we do not correspond over email regarding passwords.