Skype for Business
Skype for Business is the College's preferred online communication and collaboration service for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS devices. Skype for Business allows you to communicate and collaborate with other Skype for Business users across College or in other organisations, in addition to your Skype contacts. You can send instant messages (IM), set up and join online meetings (non-Skype for Business users can also be included) and video conferences, as well as share access to your desktop and files so that you can work together with your colleagues.
Skype for Business key features
Contacts, presence and instant messaging
- Add any other Skype for Business user to your contact list.
- Create contact groups across departments and organisations.
- Instantly see whether your contacts are available via their presence status.
- Easily send an instant message by double-clicking on a contact and typing a message.
- Invite more people to join your chat.
See the Microsoft Skype for Business contacts, presence and instant messaging card to learn more about Contacts, presence and IM.
Skype for Business meetings
- Easy to set up, schedule and join online meetings using the New Skype Meeting function via the Microsoft Outlook calendar toolbar.
- Even non- Skype for Business users can join your meetings - just send them the URL.
- Share presentations and documents with meeting participants.
- Record the meeting to keep or share it with others.
See the Microsoft Quick guide to business meetings to learn more about Meetings.
Skype for Business audio and video
Skype for Business also allows you to incorporate audio and visual communication features.
Find out how to set up audio devices and cameras in the Microsoft quick start guide to audio setup and making calls and S4B Quick start guide video
Sharing and collaboration
- Share PowerPoint presentations and transfer files.
- Share access to your desktop with another Skype for Business user so that he or she can edit a document or demonstrate an application.
- Start a conference call between sharing participants at the click of a button.
See the Microsoft Quick guide to sharing and collaboration to learn more about Sharing and collaboration.
Get Skype for Business
Skype for Business is enabled on all College staff desktop machines, and can be found by searching the menu. The first time you open Skype for Business, enter your College username and password. After that, Skype for Business will auto-start whenever you log in.
For all new staff joining College after October 2014, you can get Skype for Business set up on your College computer by raising a Skype for Business service request via the ASK ICT form with your username and PC asset tag. This will log a request with us to enable your College account for Skype for Business and to install Skype for Business on your machine.
If you have an Android or iOS (iPhone or iPad) device, you can download Skype for Business from the relevant App Store by entering your College email, username and password.
If you are an undergraduate student, you can download and install Skype for Business as part of the free Microsoft Office 365 packages: Skype for Business.