All staff and students have an Online Archive available within Office 365.
The default policy is set to archive emails that are older than two years old from the live mailbox into the archive.
Mac and Linux
Mac users: Using the new Office 2016 or Office 365 software suite will provide you with the best experience in viewing your online archive along with your primary mailbox in the same client. This software is available from the Office 365 Portal, or is included in the standard College build for Mac OS systems.
Linux users: Use the Outlook Web Access client
Import mail archives
If you have archived your emails to a local storage device, you can now import your mail archives to the online storage facilty and reduce the risk to locally stored data archives:
Importing PST files into the Office 365 Online Archive
To import a mailbox PST into the Online Archive, follow these steps:
- Open Outlook for Windows.
- Look in the mailbox list in the left navigation screen and highlight the Online Archive for your user.
- Go to the File Menu,choose to Open & Export a file and select the Import/Export option.
- Choose to Import from another program or file when the wizard starts.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst).
- Locate the data file that you wish to import, ensure that Reduce duplicates with items imported is selected and click Next.
- Choose the folder to import from, if more than one option given.
- Check that the Import items into the same folder in Online Archive is selected.
- Click Finish to begin the import. The import process will start and you will see a progress bar.
Note: Importing PST files can take a while, depending on the size of the PST file. For this reason we recommend that you do this before you leave work in the afternoon, so that your work is not interrupted.