Standard build for staff computers
We can offer the best level of support for our standard College installations. We perform extensive testing to ensure that our installations will work on our preferred supplier’s hardware () and integrate with other IT services.
We cannot offer the same level of support to systems about which we do not have the same level of in-depth knowledge and we cannot provide any guarantees that other systems will work as seamlessly with other College IT facilities.
We support and introduce upgrades to newer operating systems and standard software after compatibility with College systems has been confirmed.
Windows 10 is the latest, most secure version of Windows to be released and succeeds Windows 7, which is now 9 years old and not available with new computer purchases.
Windows 10 provides seamless integration with Microsoft services like those offered through Office 365, including OneDrive for Business which offers a secure cloud based storage solution to staff and students. Windows 10 also has better integration with other aspects of the Microsoft Office suite including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Mac OS X
- Core College software – Office 2011 for Mac, Symantec Anti-virus
- Login via College credentials
- Easy access to personal home drive mapping (for desktops and wired laptops)
- Full network registration for access to important central systems supporting core College administration, for example, submitting expense claims via ICIS
Linux – OEL7 or Ubuntu
- Login with College account via LDAP integration
- Automatic home directory mounting
- Pre-configured email software – Thunderbird