Learning and Teaching Committee
Terms of reference
- To oversee the development and implementation of the College’s Learning and Teaching Strategy, ensuring alignment with College Strategy, the Academic Regulations and the Academic Standards Framework (ASF).
- To proactively identify, support and promote innovations in learning,teaching and assessment.
- To consider the evaluation of various approaches to curriculum design, delivery and assessment, ensuring that the impact on different student groups is understood and that the results are used to inform future practice.
- To communicate and promote the profile of learning and teaching and the student experience at Imperial College.
- To engage with and recommend action as appropriate to address key themes emerging from internal and external surveys of students.
- To advise on the College’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) submission and to support work to address issues arising from the TEF.
- To consider responses to external consultations on matters relating to learning and teaching.
- To identify best practice from across the sector that can inform enhancement within College.
- To ensure alignment of the ASF with the Student Information Management Programme (SIMP) process, Specifically, but not limited to, the Academic Programme Lifecycle (APL) work stream.
- To receive and consider reports from the Online Learning Innovation Group (OLIG) and the I-Explore Module Innovation Group (IMIG).
Reports to Senate
Constitution and membership
- Vice-Provost (Education) as Chair;
- Assistant Provost (Learning and Teaching);
- Director of the Graduate School;
- a senior representative with a responsibility for educational leadership from each faculty nominated by the Dean;
- Director of Educational Development;
- Director of the Graduate School;
- Director of Strategic Planning;
- Academic Registrar;
- Head of Academic Services;
- Head of Strategic Projects, Education Office;
- Deputy President (Education) ICU;
- Chair of QAEC
|Professor Simone Buitendijk||Vice Provost (Education) (Chair)|
|Professor Alan Spivey||Assistant Provost (Learning & Teaching)|
|Professor Sue Gibson||Director of the Graduate School|
|Professor Omar Matar||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Engineering|
|Professor Emma McCoy||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Natural Sciences|
|Mr Martin Lupton||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Medicine|
|Dr Edgar Meyer||Associate Dean UG Programmes and Education Quality for the Business School|
|Professor Martyn Kingsbury||Director of Educational Development as CHERS/CLCC Representative|
|Mr Alejandro Luy||Deputy President (Education) for Imperial College Union|
|Ms Emma Caseley||Head of Strategic Projects, Education Office|
|Dr Malcolm Edwards||Director of Strategic Planning|
|Mr David Ashton||Academic Registrar / Chair of QAEC|
|Ms Judith Webster||Head of Academic Services|
|Ms Lucy Heming||Senior Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance & Enhancement) as Secretary|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2018/19)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2018/19)|
|13 September 2018||30 August 2018|
|18 October 2018||4 October 2018|
|29 November 2018||15 November 2018|
|20 December 2018||06 December 2018|
|24 January 2019||10 January 2019|
|28 February 2019||14 February 2019|
|28 March 2019||14 March 2019|
|16 May 2019||02 May 2019|
|20 June 2019||06 June 2019|
Academic year 2018/19
- 13 September 2018 [pdf]
- 18 October 2018
- 29 November 2018
- 20 December 2018
- 24 January 2019
- 28 February 2019
- 28 March 2019
- 16 May 2019
- 20 June 2019
Academic year 2017/18
- 19 September 2017 [pdf]
- 31 October 2017 [pdf]
- 28 November 2017 [pdf]
- 19 December 2017 [pdf]
- 23 January 2018 [pdf]
- 20 February 2018 [pdf]
- 22 March 2018 [pdf]
- 16 May 2018 [pdf]
- 27 June 2018 [pdf]
Academic year 2016/17
- 29 June 2017 [pdf]